After receiving several requests, I reworked my LED ring project. I simplified the circuitry and rewrote the software from scratch. The result is a LED ring that may be controlled by Breeze or DSLRBooth via USB.
The project is currently in prototype status.
In addition, I wrote a Windows application that can be integrated in most photo booth software packages. You may also control the LED ring straight through the virtual COM connection via USB.
The application reacts on command line parameters (like status screen file names) and sends the command configured for the calling parameter. The controller is able to display a set of predefined effects. Parameters can be used to tailor the effects in direction, speed or color.
Among the effects are a runnign rainbow, countdown status displays, blinking, solid color or swiping a couple of LEDs round the ring.
Finally, the lid for the battery compartment is available for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 II. You may order it as spare part at via davinci, item number VP924500. Currently, delivery time is said to be 4 to 6 weeks.
With this part, if properly modified, you may use the BLH-1 battery adapter with the battery compartment closed. I ordered one and will write a modification guideline.
I got the first production grade adapter to mount teh VA-1 angle finder on the OM-D E-M5 II. It fits well and the visibility of the view finder is good. I have no experience yet, how the material will stand over time and usage. I used (first time) selective laser sintering (SLS) as production method for this kind of adapter.
With this adapter, the VA-1 may be mounted to yet another type of camera body.
Oh, yes. It can be done. I mounted a haida PRO II NC slim polarizer on my Olympus m.ZUIKO 7–14mm f2.8 lens. The filter has a diameter of 105 mm. Slight vignetting is still visible. The effect ist a bit strange when taking pictures of teh blue sky. It is quite promising when aiming at reflections. More tests will follow.
I designed an adapter to mount the VA-1 angle finder on the E-M5ii. During the next few days I will perform tests with the prototype. In case of successful tests I will produce a small batch of adapters.
I got a brand new dive computer a couple of days ago. It needs a certain number of operating hours in order to get the approval for public usage. I am therefore out and diving a lot. This may cause delays in answering requests. Please be patient.
The picture shows computers I got for testing a while ago. The current test devices are still top secret!
Who says, that you can’t mount a threaded filter on top of the Zuiko 7–14 mm f2.0 lens? With a filter diameter of 105 mm it is possible. I tested with the bare holder for vignetting. Up to now, the results are promising.
I designed and built a prototype on request. I couldn’t test the holder yet. None of the dealers in my vicinity stocks filters of that diameter. Since I wasn’t willing to spend more than 200 € for a quick test, I have to be patient. My customer will test the holder and I will report the results.
Polarizers are expected to produce strange effects when pointed at the sky. Nevertheless, they should remove reflections quite good across the whole image.
I made the BLN-1 battery cover available in my Shapeways shop. If you don’t have access to a 3D-printer you may order the cover at Shapeways. They will print the item in SLS and deliver it right to you. If the service is suitable for other projects, I will deploy them to my Shapeways shop.
I built a new buzzer for photo booths. The new case is even more stable than its predecessor. As a bonus, it allows charging two AA cells independently without opening the case. The receiver is implemented using a Yongnuo RF-603. It may be expanded with a USB-dongle that emulates a left mouse click or hitting a key on a keyboard.
I performed tests to power Olympus cameras (OM-D E-M1) from a 5 V source. The voltage of 7.5 to 7.6 V required by the camera was delivered by a DC-DC step-up converter.
In general, powering a camer this way is possible. I just couldn’t find a power source yet that allows to drive the camera without restrictions. Even a wall wart delivering 2 A maximum current wasn’t enough to get single frame pictures at a decent pace. Too short image intervals caused troubles saving the taken pictures. Common USB chargers won’t drive the camera even in idle mode.
Maybe a power source delivering 2.5 or 3 A may do the trick. I couldn’t verify it yet.